Extinction Rebellion has 3 demands:
- “The Government must tell the truth about the climate and wider ecological emergency, reverse inconsistent policies and work alongside the media to communicate with citizens.
- The Government must enact legally binding policy measures to reduce carbon emissions to net zero by 2025 and to reduce consumption levels.
- A national Citizens’ assembly to oversee the changes, as part of creating a democracy fit for purpose.”
Our Principles and Values
All are welcome who want to adhere to our principles and values
- “We have a shared vision of change – creating a world that is fit for generations to come.
- We set our mission on what is necessary – mobilising 3.5% of the population to achieve system change – using ideas such as “momentum-driven organising” to achieve this.
- We need a regenerative culture – creating a culture which is healthy, resilient and adaptable.
- We openly challenge ourselves and this toxic system – leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.
- We value reflecting and learning – following a cycle of action, reflection, learning, and planning for more action. Learning from other movements and contexts as well as our own experiences.
- We welcome everyone and every part of everyone – working actively to create safer and more accessible spaces.
- We actively mitigate for power – breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation.
- We avoid blaming and shaming – we live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
- We are a non-violent network – using non-violent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
- We are based on autonomy and decentralisation – we collectively create the structures we need to challenge power. Anyone who follows these core principles and values can take action in the name of Extinction Rebellion.